Effective Date: April 18, 2011
You can browse some pages of the Site without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. Once you give us your personal information, you are not anonymous to us. If you choose to provide us with personal information, you consent to the transfer and storage of that information to our servers located in the United States.
We may collect and store the following personal information:
- email address, physical contact information;
- computer sign-on data, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the Site, and ad data;
- other information, including IP address and standard web log information
- if you choose to register with the Site, your profile information, including your likes and news feeds
- if you choose to use the video identification feature to identify a program or actor/celebrity, and you are registered with the Site, the fact that you viewed the program.
We don't sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies (such as demographic data) to improve and personalize our services.
We may aggregate your information to determine the most popular portions of our site, and may sell that aggregate (non-identifiable) information to third parties, who may purchase "sponsored links" on our site. If you click on a "sponsored link," we may be compensated by a third party and you may be transmitting personal information to the third party such as your IP address and standard web log information.
If you don't wish to receive marketing communications from us, simply indicate your preference on the email unsubscribe page, similar account status page, or by following the directions within the email.
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a safe, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. We may aggregate the data to make recommendations to you, e.g., "People who searched for this program, also searched for this one." You agree that we may use your personal information to:
- provide the services and customer support you request;
- customize, measure, and improve our services and the Site's content and layout;
- tell you about targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences;
- and compare information for accuracy, and verify it with third parties.
Our Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose personal information to respond to legal requirements, enforce our policies, respond to claims that content violates the rights of others, or protect anyone's rights, property, or safety. Your profile page is public, unless you opt out. Your viewing habits are private, unless you opt-in to sharing them.
We may also share your personal information with:
- affiliates to help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts and provide joint services; (Our corporate affiliates will market only to users who request these services.)
- service providers under contract who help with our business operations;
- other third parties to whom you explicitly ask us to send your information; (or about whom you are otherwise explicitly notified and consent to when using a specific service)
- law enforcement or other governmental officials, in response to a verified request relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity; and
Your User ID may be displayed throughout the Site and is therefore available to the public. All of your activities on the Site will be traceable to your User ID.
We use "cookies" (small files placed on your hard drive) on certain pages of the Site to help analyze our web page flow, customize our services, and measure promotional effectiveness.
A few important things you should know about cookies are that:
- Most cookies are "session cookies," meaning that they are automatically deleted from your hard drive at the end of a session.
- You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, although doing so may interfere with your use of the Sites.
No spam, spyware or spoofing
We and our users do not tolerate spam. Make sure to set your notification preferences so we communicate to you as you prefer.
Your password is the key to your account. Use unique numbers, letters, and special characters and do not disclose your password to anyone. If you do share your password or your personal information with others, remember that you are responsible for all actions taken in the name of your account. If you lose control of your password, you may lose substantial control over your personal information. Therefore, if your password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately notify us and change your password.
Accessing, Reviewing and Changing Your Personal Information
You can see, review and change most of your personal information by logging into the Site. Generally, we will not manually modify your personal information because it is very difficult to verify your identity remotely. You must promptly update your personal information if it changes or is inaccurate. Once you make a public posting, you may not be able to change or remove it. Upon your request, we will close your account and remove your personal information from view as soon as reasonably possible, based on your account activity and in accordance with applicable law. We do retain personal information from closed accounts in order to comply with law, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, and take other actions otherwise permitted by law.
VideoSurf makes no active effort to collect personal information from individuals under the age of 18.
Your information is stored on our servers located in the United States. We use lots of tools (encryption, passwords, physical security, etc.) designed to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. However, as you probably know, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications, and other users may abuse or misuse your personal information that they collect from the Site. Therefore, although we work very hard to protect your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information or private communications will always remain private.